Mark A. Flessner
Mark A. Flessner is a Chicago-based litigator and trial attorney with more than three decades of professional legal experience. He most recently served as Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago, and previously as a partner at the firm Holland & Knight. Mark has handled sophisticated litigation and regulatory matters across numerous industry sectors, having represented clients in multiple industries, including healthcare, retail, manufacturing, insurance and finance. He also has experience in the broad range of issues confronted by cities and municipalities, and he anticipates bringing business in those areas. Mark has substantial experience investigating wrongdoing within the corporate world and is well-versed in all aspects of corporate internal investigations.
Mark has extensive trial experience, which includes bringing more than 50 cases to verdict and arguing more than 40 cases on appeal, with a high rate of success. He has advised clients on litigation risk management and assisted clients facing government scrutiny for criminal, civil and regulatory matters. Additionally, Mark has represented clients facing complex commercial litigation, internal corporate investigations, grand jury inquiries and issues involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Mark has a track record of business development in the law firm setting. The depth of his connections in Chicago and the Midwest allows him to do outreach across a variety of sectors to General Counsels and other decision makers.
Prior to entering private practice, Mark was a federal prosecutor at the United States Attorney’s Office in Chicago for 12 years. He led major investigations involving sophisticated and complex financial fraud. His prosecutions included public corruption, bank fraud, insurance fraud, securities fraud, and white-collar crime generally. Mark also has investigated international money laundering, terrorism and cases involving national security.
Mark has a strong commitment to community service and was the pro bono partner for Holland & Knight’s Chicago office. He was a lead attorney on a death penalty habeas corpus petition in Alabama and on a high-profile immigration case in Chicago. He also served as a member of the Federal Defender Panel in the Northern District of Illinois, providing legal representation to the indigent.
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2016-2019
- Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2018
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2013-present
- Heartland Alliance 16th Annual National Immigrant Justice Center Practitioner’s Award
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Recognition for Outstanding Contribution to Law Enforcement from:
- Department of Justice
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- Internal Revenue Service, Criminal Investigations Division
- United States Postal Inspection Service
- Chicago Police Department
- Chicago Joint Task Force on Gangs
- Director’s Award for Superior Performance, U.S. Attorney General, 1996
- Federal Bar Association of Chicago, Board of Directors
- Chicago State Foundation, Board of Directors
- Chicago Police Accountability Task Force, January-April 2016
- Just the Beginning Foundation, Board Member
- Economic Club of Chicago, Member of Reception Committee
- National Immigrant Justice Center Human Rights Awards, Chair, 2010-2014
- Federal Bar Association, Federal Career Services Division, Chairman
- Leading Lawyers Network, Peer Recommended 2013
- Treasurer, Lightfoot for Chicago Campaign
- Greater Chicago Food Depository Finance and Legal Community Fundraiser, former Chairman
- Leadership Greater Chicago, Board Member, Fellow, 1995-1996
- Chicago Council of Lawyers, former Board Member; former Ethics Committee Co-Chair
- West Suburban Mass Transit District, Former Trustee
- Appleseed Fund for Justice, Former Board Member
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, M.Div.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., Political Science, with distinction