Condominium/Community Association Representation
The Condominium and Community Association practice area of SFBBG encompasses the full range of legal needs of condominium associations, common interest communities, residential cooperatives and all other forms of community associations. Our clientele is comprised primarily of professionally managed condominium, homeowner and co-operative associations located in the City of Chicago, Cook, DuPage and Lake Counties, lenders and developers, and other real estate and construction related entities. We handle both litigation and transactional matters.
Our attorneys have recognized expertise, experience and industry leadership in this area. We assist our clients to efficiently and legally operate their associations, identify and manage risks, and, when necessary, pursue legal remedies by judicial, arbitration or other methods of dispute resolution. We are known for creative problem solving and strategic counselling. Legal advice is always supplemented by practical, real world considerations.
TYPICAL SERVICES TO CLIENT INCLUDE:
- Advice and guidance on the full range of legal questions on powers, duties, requirements and operations of board of directors, such as association v. unit owner maintenance responsibilities, insurance obligations, use of common facilities, handling resident misconduct, election procedures, budget and assessment requirements and governing document interpretation
- Review and updating of declaration and by-laws to comply with current requirements of the Illinois Condominium Property Act
- Document preparation and step by step guidance to amend declaration and by-laws
- Prepare and review rules and regulations
- Contract review and documentation (such as, management, construction, laundry room, roof top antenna, common element alteration, cable or satellite TV, broadband bulk internet, vendor, and commercial space lease agreement)
- Developer transition services, including enforcement of association’s rights to documents, funds and accounting by developer as required by law, and resolution of claims against developer for construction deficiencies and other misconduct
- Negotiation and documentation of loans taken by association for major projects
- Collection of delinquent assessments and related action in foreclosure and bankruptcy proceedings
- Enforcement of association’s rights under mixed use development agreements such as reciprocal easement agreements and expense sharing arrangements
- Enforcement of easement and other property rights against adjacent property owners
- Defense against claims by employees, unit owners and residents alleging illegal discrimination, breach of fiduciary duty and other misconduct
- Provide expert witness consultation on condominium law and practice
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please e-mail Michael Kim or call 312.648.2300.